GitHub provides a very good platform to keep our repositories, modify and control them in an organised way. It also enables us to create free website of our own with a domain "
All you need is an HTML template which can be downloaded for free based on your requirement(blog, wedding website, etc) or a code which is capable of displaying a webpage.
Steps to create free website on GitHub -
- Signup or Login on Github and create a repository with a name
- Note the username you choose will be the title of your website.
- When an empty repo is created, copy the https URL by clicking the "Clone or download" button on the right.
- Use the HTTPS link and clone this repo on your local machine by typing the below command in your terminal.
$ git clone <clone url>
- Download the template and copy all the files in the cloned directory created above.
cp -r template_dir/* <cloned_dir>/
- Add the files in git and push it to the Github(web repo created in step 1) with the below command.
# add all files to local git $ git add -A #commit the files with a message. $ git commit -a -m "Initial commit" # Push all the changes to the repo present on github url. $ git push
- git push might ask for a username and password to push the files to your repo.
- Check your repo on web if all files are present.
- Navigate to
https://www.<git-username>.github.ioand your website is ready to be displayed across the web :-).